Those of you who know me well, know about my penchant for research, I like to add as much historical and mythological elements into the story as I can in order to give it some bredth and depth. For Selcouth, I wanted to set the story in Wales and use the mythology of ancient Britain and Cymru, and Medieval England because its always been a passion of mine. I am Welsh by heritage (no! I am not from India! LOL), and have always been fascinated by the mythology of the Cymry and the Celts.
I also know that some of you are nowhere near as into research as I am LOL, so... I wanted to make some info available to you and you can decide how much of it you want to read.
below are listed links to sites on Welsh mythology, history, and Fairy lore. Since we have players from all over, I will also include fairy lore from around Europe as well. I hope you find this interesting and helpful to your characters.. and try not to make fun of my nerdiness too much *glares at Misty.*
Some of these sources offer more info than others - so take what you will... and please, feel free to add to the list.
A few specific books that inspired my vision of Selcouth -
The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley (not only for the mist idea, but also for her take on the Fae)
Anything Brian Froud - (I also like his version of the Fae, all his stuff is a GREAT resource)
King Arthur and his Noble Knights - John Stienbeck
Evolutionary Witchcraft - T. Thorne Coyle
Wales -
Wikipedia
Castles of Wales
Lonely Planet
History World
Welsh Folklore -
Endicott Studio
Wikipedia
Another Wikipedia
Zeluna
Celtic Folklore -
Sacred Texts.com
Luminarium
Footprints
Fairy Lore -
Deoxy.org
Fairylore
Ilovewhimsy.comI also know that some of you are nowhere near as into research as I am LOL, so... I wanted to make some info available to you and you can decide how much of it you want to read.
below are listed links to sites on Welsh mythology, history, and Fairy lore. Since we have players from all over, I will also include fairy lore from around Europe as well. I hope you find this interesting and helpful to your characters.. and try not to make fun of my nerdiness too much *glares at Misty.*
Some of these sources offer more info than others - so take what you will... and please, feel free to add to the list.
A few specific books that inspired my vision of Selcouth -
The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley (not only for the mist idea, but also for her take on the Fae)
Anything Brian Froud - (I also like his version of the Fae, all his stuff is a GREAT resource)
King Arthur and his Noble Knights - John Stienbeck
Evolutionary Witchcraft - T. Thorne Coyle
Wales -
Wikipedia
Castles of Wales
Lonely Planet
History World
Welsh Folklore -
Endicott Studio
Wikipedia
Another Wikipedia
Zeluna
Celtic Folklore -
Sacred Texts.com
Luminarium
Footprints
Fairy Lore -
Deoxy.org
Fairylore
Shee-Eire
Fairy Lore Handbook
Timeless Myths
efairies
I will continue to post stuff, and for those of you less research inclined, I will do my best to write some stories that include the lore so you can get it from there ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment